“We should measure success in coaching by how long it takes the player to no longer need his coach.”
- Greg Ryan, University of Michigan, coach
"Talking too much is a big danger for a coach. The words get lost in the wind."
- Sir Alex Ferguson, Manchester United Football Club, manager
“Over-coaching is the worst thing you can do to a player.”
- Dean Smith, University of North Carolina, former basketball coach
"Technique becomes a skill when you perform it under pressure"
- Peter Broadly, Executive Director, FC Carolina Alliance
“Once they cross that line, it’s their game. It’s not about us as coaches; it’s about them being able to make decisions.”
- Jay Hoffman, US Youth Soccer Region I ODP Boys, former head coach
“If a coach is constantly talking or yelling at players during the game, it prevents your players from thinking for themselves.”
- Steve Sampson, former Men’s National Team Coach, June 1998
“I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand.”
- Confucius, Chinese philosopher